Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Release Date 10/24/2009











































Kate and I planned to go to Rawl island and have a campout on Saturday night. Rawl is about 3 or 4 NM from Kavieng. It is a cool little tiny island. I went there about a month when some guy took me fishing. Although it is small it has a huge tree with an Osprey nest on it.



Kate knows the people who’s family owns it, and we got permission to stay over. In Papua New Guinea somebody owns everything.


We left to paddle out there around 15:30. We did a bit of trolling and lollygagging around, and arrived about 17:00. We had to paddle around the island to find a spot with no surf, but there was a calm sheltered beach on the south side.


You can see from the picture that the island is probably only 20 or 30 yards in diameter.


There is a perfect little grassy tent site up over looking the beach.


I started to feel kind of bad after we landed. Kate knew I was sick when I turned down booze and a campfire after dinner. Those two things, and a midnight swim are some of my favorite campout activities.

I felt worse and worse as the night progressed, didn’t sleep well, and couldn’t eat anything in the morning, so we paddled back home. That wasn’t fun in the boiling hot sun, but by taking a few swims on the way we made it home.

I managed to fit 3 little kids on my kayak back near the dock. I think I could do 4 or 5 before the boat got really hard to keep upright. The problem is if I flipped I would bean them trying to roll up. The local kids are always very curious about kayak paddling, since they are used to their outrigger canoes.

No comments: